General Questions

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Use this thread for general questions.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hi Nick,

First of all I would like to tell you what I want to do :

1. I am having a Azure virtual machine which is the running IIS for the purpose of Smooth Streaming (to hold-down the publish point)

2. Now I have to perform the Transform Manager's job on the recorded videos. I have to do it programmatic. I can not use the virtual machine as it decrease the performance of the virtual machine.  So I want to move the media asset to azure then encode it and then transcode it.

3. I downloaded the createassettask code but unable to make it working. I have all the needed dll's.

So please help me to do this task. Well I am waiting for the step-by-step document.

Thanks

Devendra

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Hi Devendra,

A few questions first, so that I better understand what you are trying to do.

1. Where do you want to do the encode:
  a.  On an Azure machine instance that you have provisioned and upgraded with encoding tools?
  b.  On Windows Azure Media Services's platform as a service?  See blog.

2. How do you want do the the streaming:
 a. On an Azure machine instance that you have provisioned and upgraded with IIS-MS 4.1 ?
 b. On Windows Azure Media Services's platform as a service? See other blog.

If your answer is not "b" to both, then there is not much I can do for you with regards to this task.
However, you can use it as a template for creating your own TM task, to do some custom work for your specific scenario.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the answers :

1. Where do you want to do the encode: On Windows Azure Media Services's platform as a service.

2. How do you want do the the streaming:  On Windows Azure Media Services's platform as a service.

I am using the Azure machine instance (i.e. Virtual Machine) for first time only. I mean I will use this to store the encoded video (for this I have created an encoder to connect to the Azure machine instance publish point and store the encoded video data on it ).

Then I want to use the Windows Azure Media Services's platform for the encode and streaming job. Because I am having an performance issue with virtual machine.

Steps :

1. I use my encoder to connect virtual machine publish point.

2. Encode the video using my encoder.

3. It stores the data (video file .ismv) on virtual machine. [Do you have any ways to store the data on some other storage. like some azure storage instance?]

4. Now move to the Windows Azure Media Services.

5. Create the copy of encoded video (.ismv file) from virtual machine to the azure.

6. Do the Transform Manager's job, encoding, and publishing.

8. I need a .ism URL. I will use this .ism URL for streaming.

These are the steps to do the Transform Manager's job on azure.

Please let me ask if you want something more.

Thanks

Devendra

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Hi Devendra,

This is my understanding:

You have some sort of live encoding and publishing scenario.  You are using an instance of Media Services that you have created in Azure to recieve the stream and store it.

Once stored, you need to do additional processing and then streaming.  You wish to use Windows Azure Media Services to do this.

Great. That should work.  However, the correct place for such support is in the forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MediaServices/threads

This codeplex project focuses on creating a bridge between on-premise media workflows and cloud workflows, for completed assets.  Your assets are sent to cloud as a stream, then you have a cloud-to-cloud scenario.  The MediaService forum is the best place for your question.

To answer your other question regarding the ability to push live streams directly to storage via Windows Azure Media Services: yes, we have that.  It is not yet generally available, it will become available in the next year or so (I can't provide dates for such things).  We have been using this technology to record/stream/re-broadcast the Olympics for several years (but not in the US-market this year).

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your great support and time to answer me.

I will post my queries over there.

Well I am working on a project to show the live and on-demand games. What ever I have asked is for the on-demand streaming.

Thanks again for all help.

Devendra